The leader of the Hansa project was Hans Wocke, a former Junkers engineer
in Dessau, who was involved in the construction of the Ju-287 (a jet
bomber with forward swept wings).
After World War II. Wocke and a lot of other Junkers engineers and technicians
were forced to work for several years in the Soviet Union where they
developed several military jets like the type 150. These men returned
to Germany from 1950 to 1954 and took part in the development of the
East-German aeronautics industry. As chief developer of the VEB Flugzeugwerft
Dresden Hans Wocke was involved in the construction of the first German
passenger jet "152" (also called "Baade 152").
But in 1957 Wocke went to West Germany (before the first flight of the
"152" in 1958), where he came to the Hamburger Flugzeugbau
of this unconventional jet was started in march 1961. It was intended
primarily as a 6/11-seat executive transport, but was projected also
as 12-passenger feeder-liner and for a variety of military duties. The
most notable feature of the aircraft is the forward swept wings which
are mid-placed on the fuselage. This arrangement allows the wing spar
to pass through the fuselage behind the passenger cabin without adversely
effecting available space.
Numerous wind tunnel measuring were carried out in Torrejon (Spain)
and Göttingen (Germany). Construction of a protoype was started
on August 1, 1962.
The prototype V1 of the HFB 320 Hansa Jet reg. D-CHFB took off for first
flight at Hamburg-Finkenwerder by Loren William Davis and H. Bardill
on April 21st, 1964.
The first flight lasted for 73 minutes and went to Bremen-Lemwerder.
An intensive prooftesting was started. The chief of this test programm
was Dr. Studer. The V1 protoype was equipped with a numerous measuring
equipment (310 measuring values could be determined).
D-CHFB crashed during the 121st test flight on May 12, 1965; but a second
prototype has been flying since October 19, 1964, and manufacture of
the first 10 production Hansas was scheduled for completion early in
1966. The first delivery to a customer was to General Air of Hamburg
in March 1968. Two prototypes and 45 aircrafts were produced.
Berlin - HFB History
Construction: Hamburger Flugzeugbau / MBB
Engine: 2x General Electric CJ 601-9
Type: jet engine
Thrust: 2x 13.78 kN
Speed: max. 825 kms/h
Range: 2,370 kms incl. spare
Weight (empty): 5,425 kgs
Take-off weight: 9,200 kgs
Span width: 14.49 m
Length: 16.61 m (without bow radom)
Height: 4.94 m
Aerofoil: 30.14 m²
The aircraft (reg. D-COSA) exhibited in the museum was used as executive
jet for Messerschmitt. It was stationned in Munich / Riem and took managers
and members of staff of MBB to Italy or England during the time the
Tornado was developed. The plane is completely preserved, only both
engines were dismantled and provide the re-built Me 262 of the Messerschmitt-foundation
with the necessary propulsion now.